Sunday, August 1, 2010

Scott Bennett Walker Shines at Writers Out Loud

From Susan Allison 

Bravo to the 'Writers Out Loud' writers who read their work at Green Street Art Center on Thursday night (July 28.) The event featured "The Cream of the Crop," six writers who had been determined by the votes of both writers and audiences including: Albert Frank Bower, Jr., Lynn Wilcox, Patricia I. Terrill Francis, Piyar Delerme, Scott Bennett Walker, and Tess McCune. The show was run impeccably by Cocomo Rock and dedicated to Janice M. Albert, who had been a member of Writers Out Loud but recently passed away leaving a lasting impression on everyone. Guest reader Sari Rosenblatt read an excerpt from Janice's memoirs.

The event also featured Rich Kamins as Co-host and Terri Klein as a guest reader for Piyar Delerme who was unable to attend.

All six writers were engaging, talented, interesting, and well worth hearing. Throughout the night the audience had to score the readers to choose the one best writer/written piece of the evening. The winner was Scott Bennett Walker who read a moving excerpt from his memoirs. Scott's style, voice, and images created a mesmerizing story of an abusive father as seen through the eyes of a young boy.  Though it was hard to choose a winner, it was a pretty extraordinary moment between audience and writer when Scott learned he won.

Afterwards I spoke with Cocomo Rock who said he continually comes in contact with so many talented people around here (Middletown and beyond.) I have had the same experience. It often amazes me how many artists are out there quietly working, and working, on their art. Events like the Writers Out Loud: Cream of the Crop, are important as they give the authors or artists or musicians recognition, reward, support,  opportunities to share, excuses to show off, and moments to teach. So Bravo Cocomo! Bravo Writers! Thank you!

3 comments:

Sarah-Jane said...

It was a great event! Thanks to all who attended! Help Writers Out Loud continue to grow and cultivate local talent - next meeting is Thursday, September 16 at Green Street; 7 pm start time, but arrive at 6:30 to get on the short list of presenters.

Patti Anne Vassia said...

This was the first time I attended and will certainly attend again. It was inspiring to hear these stories that are still spinning in my head days later. Congratulations to all who participated and those who made the evening so enjoyable.

Scott said...

I never thought I'd live long enough to see such a headline. My only regret is that, after the announcement, I failed to thank all the writers with whom I shared the microphone that evening and all who participated in Writers Out Loud with me for their insightful comments that helped make my story more effective and for instilling in me the confidence I had been lacking. Thank you.