Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Every Vote REALLY Counts Today!

Voters in the City are going to the polls in both the Republican and the Democratic Primary elections today. On the Democratic side, there are four separate choices: Malloy or Lamont for Governor, Wyman or Glassman for Lt. Governor, Garcia or Merrill for Secretary of State, and Jarjura or Lembo for State Comptroller. Republicans choose between Fedele, Foley, and Griebel for Governor, Boughton, and Wilson-Foley for Lt. Governor, Dean and Garber for Attorney General, and McMahon, Schiff, and Simmons for U.S. Senate.

I didn't see any other voters when I went to the polls at Moody School around 8AM, there were about 15 election workers there, staffing the two party's tables for each of the congressional districts served by that polling station. When I asked about the turnout, the response was a laughing, "You're the ninth voter."

VOTE! Yours will carry a lot of weight today, as it seems unlikely to be diluted by a massive turnout.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The profile page says the middletown eye has been publishing since 20008. [humorous remark here]

Anonymous said...

help. give me a good impartial website to go to for information on the candidate's issues and history etc. and how late are the polls open? thank you

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I voted!! You should too!

The school was quiet when I went to vote at 1PM-- don't let this election pass you by!

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate the lack of interest in the primary; but the preponderance of wealthy candidates wanting to bring their business experience to government motivated me to get out and cast my vote. Less ruling by the ruling class sounds like a good thing to me I only wish I could have voted in both party primaries. Alas, I'm just a registered Democrat!

Anonymous said...

I voted at the senior center at 6 pm . only 8% of democrats in that district had voted by then..republicans had logged 30% by that time...

Anonymous said...

How does one find out when primaries are?

I moved here a couple years ago and am thoroughly confused by how elections work here. The state where I used to live sent out a voting guide, complete with sample ballot and polling location, to all voters prior to every election. I haven't seen anything like that here.

So, I now find myself out of town on vacation and it is obviously too late to vote absentee. So I'm disappointed to miss this opportunity and hope I won't miss future elections.

everyday man said...

I think there was an apathy among voters on the negative campaigning they saw the last week or two. Plus people being on vacation kept the numbers low.

My solution would be to hold primaries in late June a month after the conventions. That way people will still be here and not on vacation.