Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Candidate Profile: Planning and Zoning Commission - Quentin Phipps


Quentin Phipps (D) Incumbent Candidate for Planning and Zoning Commission

Background

I am
lifelong resident of Middletown, and son of Ms. Queen E. Williams. I currently reside on Andrew Street, where I bought my first home in 2005, after being raised in Woodbury Circle. After graduating from the Middletown Public School system, I attended Bryant University of Smithfield, Rhode Island. In college I was an INROADS intern and upon graduation continued in the banking sector. I am currently a branch manager for Guilford Savings Bank. I serve as the President of Connecticut Young Democrats, Middlesex County Substance Abuse Action Council Board of Directors Vice President, Oddfellows Youth Theatre Board of Directors Development Chair, and as an active member on the Middletown Democratic Town Committee, Middletown Young Democrats, and with the Hartford Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (HYPE)

Experience

This is my second election for public office in Middletown. I am running to become a full Planning and Zoning Commissioner. In 2007, I filled a vacancy on the Planning & Zoning commission.. In November 2007 I was elected to my first full term as an alternate planning and zoning commissioner.

Reasons for running

I am looking to bring a strong fiduciary business sense, clear development philosophy, and a spirit of altruism and service to the commission. I am fortunate to be able to serve my greater community so that I may utilize my skill set as a pragmatic manager, consensus builder, and clear communicator. Given these talents and a clear vision for the City of Middletown and the Planning and Zoning Commission, I feel a responsibility to give back to the community that has helped develop and nurture me.

Goals

I have pledged to ensure the timely adoption of a revised plan of development and to provide more educational workshops to help demystify the process and jargon of the planning and zoning to commission to encourage greater community engagement and participation.

No comments: