Tuesday, April 5, 2016

At Wesleyan, Friday: James Luna, "Visuals, Visions, and Voices"

From Mark Minch, postdoctoral fellow at Wesleyan.
------------
The Center for the Americas at Wesleyan University presents a performative lecture by California Indian/Mexican-American multimedia installation and performance artist, James Luna (Payómkawichum).

James Luna, "Visuals, Visions, and Voices"
Friday, April 8 at 5:30pm
Ring Family Performing Arts Hall (CFA)
Wesleyan University

Luna is known for his often satirical undermining of white expectations of Native Americans and Native performers. Using Native images and his own body to negotiate what he describes as the contradiction of living in two worlds, he says of this condition, “This ‘two world’ concept once posed too much ambiguity for me, as I felt torn as to whom I was. In maturity I have come to find it the source of my power, as I can easily move between these two places and not feel that I have to be one or the other, that I am an Indian in this modern society.”

The performative lecture is part of The Americas Forum 2016, A Hemispheric Conversation on Violence and Memory, which includes a panel of speakers starting at 2:30 at the Russell House at Wesleyan University.

No comments: