Monday, February 8, 2010

Email Hoax-Hijacking your account

Just another reminder to be careful regarding the security of your email address. Change those passwords often. Be careful when you use public computers. My friend Paul had someone take over his email account, locking him out, and then making contact with everyone on his email list. The hijackers sent a note that used his own email address, which read exactly as follows.

Hope you get this on time,sorry I didn't inform you about my trip in UK for a Program, I'm presently in UK and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were kept. presently i have limited access to internet,I will like you to assist me with a loan of $2000 Dollars to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return,let me know if you can be of any help.I don't have a phone where i can be reached.. Please let me know immediately. Regards Paul

Checking the long headers, though suggested something was amiss.
I might have almost been taken in, except that my friend Paul, even under stress would write a better letter than this. Plus all his friends know his personal situation would not allow him to pay for a trip across the pond. BUT, it is the kind of trouble I could see him getting into; he would be apt to lose his wallet, and not have a phone with him. He would of course be very short on cash, and he would not hesitate to ask for help if he needed it. I just was so close to believing this one, I wanted to alert others to this confirmed fraud. Guess it been around for a while, but it is the first time I've heard of/seen this one.

No comments: