Sunday, January 31, 2010

I am 'M-Press'ed


Commentary
-----------------
At "The Eye", I think I speak for many authors when I say that our primary motivation for volunteer journalism is the belief that Middletown is a better city when there is a news organization which informs residents what is happening in our wonderful city. We believe that municipal government works better when residents know what is happening in city hall. We believe our arts are more vibrant when residents know what is happening and are motivated to come out and support local events. We believe our schools are better when residents know what the school board and administrators are doing. We believe public safety is improved when residents know more about the police force. We believe our restaurants will be better when residents are informed about their quality.

Saturday was a great day for Middletown. When I picked up a copy of the Middletown Press, at a newspaper box outside of Klekolo's, I was dazzled by its coverage. On the front page were 4 important and informative stories: about Main Street, about the Board of Education, about municipal governance, and about the police. On the sports page were stories about an athletic contest in Middletown and about the Middletown Sports Hall of Fame.

With a paper like this, I will renew my subscription. Heck, if a paper like this can be maintained, maybe I won't be at City Hall so often.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hanna Vahl is turning into a great reporter.

Middletown Eye (Ed McKeon) said...

Hannah Vahl was a good reporter to begin with - bright, attentive, curious and not afraid to ask questions. She's just getting to know Middletown better. Now, let's hope the Press values her, and gives her some help. She's covering three towns, and that's just impossible.

Anne-Marie Cannata said...

I must say I've been noticing many more positive stories in The Middletown Press, and that's nothing but good! Keep those good stories coming!