Monday, December 13, 2010

New Parking System at Melilli Plaza


Today is the first day that the new parking system is in operation at Melilli Plaza. After months of renovation, the lot was open for a few weeks without charge, but today, the new gates-ticket system is in effect.

Here's how it works:

1. When you drive in, stop at the gate and get a ticket.
2. Keep the ticket with you when you leave your car.
3. When you are ready to leave (after doing all your holiday shopping on Main Street, of course!), stop at the kiosk and insert the ticket to find out how much you owe (first hour free, 75 cents/hour after that). The kiosks take credit cards and cash/coins.
4. Use the ticket to open the gate on your way out.

The good news is that parking at Melilli is generally cheaper than it was before (unless you were one of the folks who waited until the attendant was off-duty so you wouldn't have to pay at all!) In the past, parking was $1 per hour, with the first 2 hours free. Now, parking is 75 cents per hour, with the first hour free. With the increased efficiency in collections, this will actually increase the revenue of this lot, allowing more upgrades of lighting, signage, etc. around other downtown parking lots.

More importantly, it will cost less to park in Melilli than it does on Main Street, which now costs $1/hour. Hopefully, that will discourage employees from taking up Main Street spaces all day.

As for the Main Street meters:
In the coming months, Main Street will receive new parking meters that can accept credit cards as well as coins - but for now, it can't hurt to carry a few quarters, either for your own car, or to help out a fellow shopper, in the spirit of the holidays!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed I have just had one them there epitimy's. Now Mr.C has a warm and dry place for him to express his naturalized citizens right to expression. Plus its a good place to tell people you only have three qauters to trade for thier dollar. I LOVE YOU MR.C. Havent heard from ya in awhile, Happy Holidays and to you too Ed...............

Anonymous said...

One of the things I hate about Middletown, Hartford, and New Haven is paying for parking. When I go to WH, a shopping mall or most other suburban shopping areas the parking is free. I assume this is to encourage people to spend money which I do. Last fall I spent $2,000 test riding and having the guys at PP set up a bike for me (their lot was full). When I came out I was over the 2 hour limit and slammed with a fine. Thanks Middletown....I should have gone to Cromwell. Also "More importantly, it will cost less to park in Melilli." Compared to the street price it's less but it was free for 2 hours before. What will it be once they now talk about redoing the lot into a garage?

Anonymous said...

YES INDEED...ITS MIDDLETOWN..
STAND IN THE BAD WEATHER, HOLDING PACKAGES TO PAY FOR PARKING..
I DON'T THINK SO - GO TO THE MALLS!

Anonymous said...

and now they are going to build a 10 million parking garage and make parking rates pay for it all...that means more rate increases, probebly triple what they are now

Anonymous said...

It is a shame how inconvenient this is -- it will definitely affect the amount of people shopping downtown and affect the business owners. For shame Middletown.

Anonymous said...

My first experience with the new system was horrible. My fee was $1.50. I put in one dollar. The machine spit it out. I put in another dollar. Same result. After my third dollar was rejected I put in a ten dollar bill. I received my change in quarters! We now have parking spaces on Main St. that do not match up with the meters and a frustrating new payment system for the lots. I'm so glad that the city is paying big bucks for a parking director.

Anonymous said...

anon. 6:18, I wonder if you mean West Hartford? On street parking is 25 cents for 15 mins in the hub, if you can find parking. unless there's a lot that's free that I don't know about....
I also wonder what happened to the parking lady at Melilli.