Thursday, October 31, 2013

Gerry Daley: Incument and Democratic Candidate for Common Council

Name, Age: 

Gerald E. Daley, 61 years old

Education:
*Bachelor of Arts in Political Science - Fairfield University
*Graduate Studies, UCONN MBA program

Work:
Human Resources Administrator, State of Connecticut Department of Developmental Services

Why do you want to hold public office in Middletown?
I was born and raised in Middletown along with my five brothers and sisters.   I also raised my family here.   So I care about the betterment of our community because of my many family members and friends who live here.   I think Middletown is rich in natural assets – like the river; institutional assets – like Wesleyan, Middlesex Community College, Russell Library, Middlesex Hospital and Community Health Center; and human assets – our diverse population.  Building on these assets, we have many opportunities to foster economic development and enhance the quality of life in Middletown.   I have had a strong interest in government, especially municipal government, ever since college and I think my many years of experience make me very qualified to help Middletown progress and prosper.

What experience do you bring to the table?
I am serving my tenth term as a member of the Middletown Common Council, I previously served three terms as Deputy Mayor and two terms as the Majority Leader of the Council. I have been Chairman of the Economic Development Committee since 1993.  I am also a member of the Public Works Commission, Ordinance Study Commission, and the City Commission governing the Eastern Connecticut Resource Recovery Authority.   I currently chair the Middletown Riverfront Redevelopment Commission and earlier this term chaired the Mayor’s Bi-partisan Task Force on Efficiency in Government. I previously chaired the Government Operations and Program Review and Insurance and Claims Committees, as well as the City’s Redevelopment Agency, and previously served on the Finance and Government Operations Commission, the Water Pollution Control Authority, the Personnel Commission, and the Harbor Improvement Agency.  So, I have served on most Common Council committees.    Also, I served as Administrative Assistant to Mayor Anthony S. Marino from 1975 to 1979, and from 1980 to 1981 was Chairman of the Management Study Committee on the Structure of Middletown's Government and have a strong understanding of the City Charter and Ordinances as well as our finances and budget process.

What do you think are the City's most pressing issues?
The most important and essential responsibilities of any municipal government are public safety; maintaining our physical plant and infrastructure – roads, utilities, and parks; economic development and sound fiscal management; and providing high quality education and community services.  Based on my experience, my priorities and areas of focus: 1) economic development to broaden the tax base and create jobs; 2) control spending to deliver essential services with quality and efficiency; 3) protect our investment in infrastructure – not only facilities like roads, utilities, and capital equipment, but also our organization / employees – we need to plan for the future.


What do you love most about Middletown?
Our diverse population, our great location and access to highways, the natural beauty of our community – the river and our rolling hills and open spaces, our vibrant downtown, our great institutions of learning, our convenient medical facilities, and the variety of settings where people live – from downtown, to suburban, to farm / rural.

What do you like to do for fun?
Spend time with family and friends, read, exercise, watch sports and movies.

How can residents keep up with you?
City of Middletown e-mail address – gerald.daley@middletownct.gov, or call the Council Clerk's office 860-638-4980. Also Twitter: @gerrydaley or Facebook: facebook.com/gerry.daley.3

No comments: