Friday, January 6, 2012

WJMJ - 88.9, Hartford

Recently while radio-station surfing, I came upon WJMJ, 88.9 FM. I listened and liked what I heard: Everything from Little Richard and Elvis; to Bobby Darrin, Peter, Paul, and Mary; to John Meyer and everything before and after--Frank Sinatra, Patty Page, Stan Getz, Big Bands, small bands--Herman's Hermits, Beatles, Dave Clark Five. Not sure, but I don't think I've heard any Rolling Stones numbers. And I think there are other more recent things that I don't recognize. . . . All this and no advertising.

Did that get your attention? Yes, there's no advertising on WJMJ. The station is sponsored--surprize, surprize! by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford of the Church.

Every once in a while, I hear a prayer, a story of a saint, a distilled story from the Bible, a health tip. Ave Maria's are said at certain hours--in English; and perhaps other daily prayers, too. There is some news coverage, which seems to be given in a fairly neutral way. And events listings, and other features. I listen for something that might detract, but so far I've heard nothing but good sounds. And WJMJ is still playing Christmas Carols and seasonal songs--Jingle Bell Rock was on just now, which I find very pleasing.

I remember as a child asking why radio stations stopped playing Christmas Carols, abruptly, right after Christmas Day. I thought it offensive to take away one of the joys of the season for no good reason. Well, I have found WJMJ (for Jesus, Mary, and Joseph?) and now I feel justified in asking, why, indeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No advertising? It's 24/7 infomercial.

Steadyjohn said...

I've sometimes tuned to that station when a break from the ordinary was called for.

KWay said...

I, also, did not like the abrupt stopping of Christmas carols...and I found the station earlier last year, and enjoy it when I am tired of talk, news, music...

Claudia DeFrance said...

WJMJ is a wonderful break from the usual noise, but especially while driving on our crazy highways. Yes, it does include The Angelus, which is recited 3 times a day. The Angelus begins with the ringing of the Angelus bell, which is a call to prayer and to spread good will to everyone on earth and the reciting of 3 Hail Marys among other short prayers. It brings peace to your soul, while coping with our busy world.