Monday, October 31, 2011

Mayor Suggests Trick Or Treaters Stay Home Along With Other Precautions

From the office of the Mayor and the Middletown Fire Department (slightly re-edited with no deletions)

The Mayor is urging residents to forgo Halloween festivities for this evening.  With the extensive power outage safety will be an issue if children are out on the darkened streets.  Even reflective clothing may not be adequate to protect pedestrians on well traveled streets.  The police department urges people to have a well lit house if they are offering candy to trick-or-treaters.  Due to the power outage, that will not be possible and the darkened houses, walkways and pedestrian paths may become dangerous.  

 Police and fire officials are reminding residents to take some precautions in the aftermath of Winter Storm Alfred if they have been or continue to be without power.

Fire officials said, that if possible, use flashlights during a power outage. If candles must be used, the fire department offered the following warnings:

  • Avoid carrying a lit candle and never leave candles unattended. Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Keep candles away from items that can catch fire such as clothing or curtains.
  • Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily and are made from a material that can’t burn.

Fire officials also warned about the dangers of carbon monoxide during an extended power outage. According to the department, all gas-powered equipment such as generators emit carbon monoxide (CO). Generators must be operated outside in a well –ventilated area, never inside. Caution should be used when operating alternate heating devices such as kerosene and propane heaters.  Any open flame is an extreme fire risk and these heating devices will also produce deadly CO.

Carbon monoxide can affect a home very quickly without being detected by the body’s senses.
Symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic the common flu and may include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea vomiting chest pain and confusion.

If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, call 911 immediately.

For more information on fire safety call (860) 883-7564. For more information on Halloween safety contact the Middletown Police Department at 860-344-3200. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will there be a day when kids can trick or treat or is it cancelled this year