Friday, October 28, 2011

Candidate Profile: Kevin Kelly BOE Candidate (R)

The below information is a part of the Eye's Elections 2011 series to provide information to voting citizens and does not represent any endorsement by the Middletown Eye or any of its authors.

My name is Kevin Michael Kelly. I'm seeking a seat on the Middletown Board of Education on the Republican ticket.

If chosen to serve, my goal is to restore a sense of accountability to the Board of Education. As a grandfather, I expect Middletown public schools to provide the same quality education and opportunities that I was privileged to receive as a child.

My family moved to Middletown when I was 2 years old. I attended a combination of public and Catholic schools, including three years at Xavier High School. I hold a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from the University of Connecticut. While attending Western New England School of Law, I began working at Connecticut Valley Hospital as a Psychiatric Aide. This led to a change of career paths and I became a Registered Nurse. I worked over 30 years at Connecticut Valley Hosp and the Whiting Forensic Institute. I held a variety of positions at the hospital, including more than 18 years I was psychiatric nurse supervisor at Whiting. I also served as Director of Nursing and Assistant Director of Whiting as a temporary service assignment.

I retired in 2008 and enjoy spending time with my grandchildren. I also enjoy reading, skiing, scuba diving, motorcycles, hunting and boating. I am a member of the Polish Falcons nest 519 in Middletown and a member of the Meriden Motor Boat Club in Portland. I am an active member of the Middletown Republican Town Committee and currently serve as a Justice of the Peace.

I'm married to Donna Kelly and have 2 sons and 3 grandchildren. My two youngest grandchildren attend school in Middletown.

No comments: