Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Democrats Stop by to Congratulate Republicans on Giuliano's Victory.

The Democratic headquarters shut down early on election night, with the Democratic faithful disappointed that their mayoral candidate had not won. However, Dan Drew, and several of the re-elected council-members stopped by Republican headquarters to congratulate Mayor Giuliano and his fellow Republicans on Giuliano's win.

Drew was gracious, "Congratulations to the mayor on his victory." He said that he would remain engaged in Middletown politics, not ruling out another attempt at elective office, "I believe very strongly in what we stand for." Councilman James Streeto attributed Giuliano's victory primarily to his greater name recognition, and said that Drew would not go away, "I'm sure we haven't heard the end of Dan Drew." Streeto pointed out that he was the youngest Councilman, and welcomed the involvement of Drew and other young Democrats.

1 comment:

James Streeto said...

Actually, Steve, I said ALL OF US (meaning the incumbents) benefitted from name recognition (including the mayor and, also, myself). Incumbency is a huge advantage in a municipal race--it can be very challenging to get your name known to a large enough group of people to get elected. Otherwise, my complements to you and the Eye, generally, for wonderful coverage of the election.

Dan has impressed an awful lot of people--I really hope he'll continue in politics. You can never have enough good people.

Speaking of which, and from the other side of the aisle--I was particularly happy to see two new republican officeholders, Debbie Kleckowski and Ken McClellan.

I've always had a very high regard for Debbie--she's smart, tough, hardworking and tenacious. I'm really looking forward to working with (and I'm sure, on occasion, against :)) her on the council. Ken was my opposite number in my first race--and I've always thought he belonged in office. He's also a really good person, very dedicated to the community, and he'll be a real asset to PZC.