Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's a Family Affair at the Republican Headquarters Election Night

While I happen to be down at the Republican headquarters on Main Street this evening ( I unfortunately did not make it to the Democrats' headquarters and wish I had), I decided to interview the people who knew a few of the candidates best: their kids.
While dad & B.O.E. candidate Steve Gaarder watched the votes come in get tabulated on the wall at the headquarters I spoke with his children, Nora, 13, and Jascha Gaarder, 8. I asked them what they liked best about election time, and they seemed, as the rest of the folks in the room totally enthralled in what was going on around them. When asked," Would you want to be in politics someday like your dad?", Nora responded with an answer wise beyond her years, "No, too stressful." However brother Jascha replied," Yes- it's very exciting!" Jascha Gaarder's favorite part about the election is seeing his dad's signs up. I asked Nora Gaarder if her dad ever asks her input on decisions, which she replied "No, and I don't want a part of it." I have a feeling however, that when younger brother Jascha gets a little older he will be more than ready to give his opinion! I then asked both siblings what would they like the public to know about their dad that only they know? "[My dad] really likes to play games, fun games," said Jascha. Maybe Jascha is ready for a career in politics already? Just kidding Jascha. Nora wanted everyone to know: "He is just a really good dad."
Joe Fazzino, 17, son of P&Z candidate Nick Fazzino likes to take an active role helping his father in his campaign. "[I] just like the fact we have the same views. I helped him all day today," commented Nick. Being a little older, I asked Nick if any kids at school ever made comments to him about his father's views. Nick answered, "Once in a while someone will say something to me about party affiliation, but that's about it." As for Nick going into politics himself, he appeared to have a pretty clear answer,
"No, I wouldn't be a politician, but I would show my support in politics." I asked him to clarify this, and Nick expressed his passion for the "Pro Life" position. Good to see a young person who won't be hesitating to register to vote.
At right, Jeffrey Daniels,11, follows in his father Jeff Daniels', leader of AFSCME Local 466, footsteps and takes an active union role keeping an eye on things. The younger Jeffrey dons union flare- green hat and shirt- and keeps close watch as vote totals are entered into a spreadsheet. Mayor Giuliano to the far right.
Again, at during the evening I found myself as I often do, at the kids table. But no worries, I started talking to a girl who was writing the votes on wall inside the headquarters. She introduced herself as Franchesca Giuliano, 17, daughter of Mayor Sebastian Giuliano. This confident young lady seemed very at home and relaxed amongst the whole circus going on around us. The confusion between what the Runner's had to report was daunting, and it appeared trying to hear clearly what was being said over cell phones about vote tally's was too with all the noise in the room. I asked how she felt about the whole political scene. "It's exciting. You get to do things a normal teen doesn't get to," expressed Franchesca. " The first year my dad was elected we got to take a family trip to D.C. for a week. We got to see part of the capital not open to the general public. I also got to meet the general manager for the Yankees."
In interviewing Franchesca I asked her "Do other kids at school ever comment to you as to why your dad made this decision or another as far as what he does politically?" Franchesca answered," Yes, all the time, I have gotten used to it." Franchesca also stated that on the negative side of being the mayors' daughter she didn't get to see her father as much as she would like, specifically the council meetings keep him out really late; but she did express her willingness to share him with the town, as she feels he certainly is working for the greater good of Middletown. So will we be seeing Franchesca Giuliano take up politics one day? It seems as of right now, Franchesca is looking at becoming a lawyer, following many politicians' footsteps. Not surprisingly, as she seemed so at ease up at the tabulation board, she answered me confidently with a "Yes, someday,"when asked if she will be involved in politics during her adult life.
And what would the Mayor's most intimate counsel like the public to know about her dad that some of us might not? The mayor has a deep love of history and an infinite memory.
"He has a knack for details, he will read a history book and be able to tell you all the details,"Franchesca stated with a smile, "We joke, we don't know where he stores all that detail."
Of course no one was happier than Franchesca when the results came in.

No comments: