Sunday, November 8, 2009

Finding Pete, Tuesday at Russell House


If you listened to Eye on the Air Friday, you understand that my scheduling skill fell completely apart. None of the guests I promoted actually appeared on the air Friday.

In fact, I scheduled four guests for an hour in which I usually interview two.

It all worked out, and the interview with Middletown Acting Police Chief Patrick McMahon will be featured in an upcoming Eye On the Air.

When Jill Hunting showed up at WESU, on time, I remembered booking her, but didn't recall that the date I had booked her was last Friday.

She ended up being my first guest last week, and we spoke about her book, Finding Pete, recently published by Wesleyan University Press. It's the story of her brother, who was the first Wesleyan alumni killed in Vietnam in 1963, before the US had active combat troops in that country. Hunting, who was 15 when her brother was killed, began to research her brothers life after finding four letters he had written. By the time she was finished, she had well over 150 letters, and had met many of his friends, including several he made in Vietnam.

During Homecoming weekend, Hunting has made two appearances on the Wesleyan campus. Those appearances have been for the Wesleyan community. Tuesday, the general public is invited to a reading an lecture at the Russell House, at 8PM.

Unfortunately, though I have faithfully recorded every Eye on the Air Show since we began at the beginning of summer, Friday's show went unrecorded as I tried to accomodate the overbooking, and lost my bearings. So if you want to hear Jill Hunting, and she's worth hearing, Tuesday is your opportunity.

1 comment:

Jill Hunting said...

Jill Hunting's talk at Wesleyan Commencement has been posted to http://www.wesleyan.edu/hcfw/2009/video.html

It was a pleasure speaking with you, Ed.

Jill Hunting
Author of FINDING PETE: Rediscovering the Brother I Lost in Vietnam