Thursday, August 1, 2019

Thazhampallath Petitions Onto the Ballot, Vows High Road


From a press release issued by the Geen 2019 campaign

Petitioning democratic candidate for Mayor, Geen Thazhampallath, announced today, just ten days into the twenty-day petitioning process, that he had qualified for the September 10 primary.  Thazhampallath, whose campaign collected over 700 signatures, was notified that he crossed the official certified 610 threshold by the Registrar’s Office late Monday. 

“I can’t be more excited, especially for all the democratic voters of Middletown, who will now have more choice and a better choice at the polls on September 10. So many people signed the petitions and said they wanted me to go for it and that they wanted a better choice that met them in the middle, where they were, in just regular life, and someone that understood and cared about them first.”

“To be honest, early on, some doubt had set in.  You start feeling you are out there alone.  But then, about mid last week, the tide changed. I could feel it and hear it in regular citizens’ response to us as they met me at their door. With each word of encouragement and each signature, I could feel the momentum, and I realized that I wasn’t alone at all.

“People are smart. Often politicians take voters for granted because they’ve gotten too comfortable in their seats.  Truth is, we don’t give voters the credit they deserve. Through this petitioning process I learned that voters know exactly what’s going out there. They know who is cynical, who represents the old ways of doing things and who, on the other hand, is positive, civil, truly competent and rightly motivated to serve them. I think they, the voters or signers, see that in me.”

Thazhampallath said his organic home-grown campaign approach was evident in the petitioning process too. “We didn’t have big slates or a huge army. It was a small band of friends, family and neighbors that pitched in and that believe in me and believe in the positive things we are trying to accomplish for Middletown and its future. We took it on ourselves to meet people at their doorstep and in the patterns of their regular lives. That’s harder to do but every greeting with every person, no matter how brief, was worth it whether they signed, could sign, or not.”

He added, “the petitioning process isn’t an easy one, but I thank all the great people of Middletown that we met going door to door, at City events, and standing for hours outside Stop & Shop, in the heat of July. People responded so kindly to me and my small team of friends and family and our message. They invited us in and offered us bottles of water and just encouraged us to keep going and stay true and real.”

“People also told us how much they were sick of the old ways of doing things and all the discord going on between other candidates and within the party. They want positive change and a new voice without all the political nonsense. They were clear that they wanted civility, competence to lead our City, and someone to be there for everyone.  In the next month, I’m aiming high and to show them I am the best person for the job. Now, I have that chance.” he said.

No comments: