Friday, August 23, 2019

Anthony Mangiafico, Endorsed Common Council Candidate, Row A


Why am I running for Common Council?

 I started my career in journalism, as a newspaper reporter, so facts matter to me. I have spent most of my career in education. I was a classroom teacher for 10 years and I am now a principal. I completed my doctorate from UConn last year and my dissertation detailed the achievement gap and the inequity in education. My work with children, teens, and adults, has showed me that not everyone has the same opportunities, especially when not starting on equal footing in kindergarten. I work with adults who were not successful in high school the first time around and are now trying to earn a high school diploma or GED later in life, sometimes in their 40s, 50s, or beyond.

There are not many educators in positions of power in this country. Yet these members of Congress, the General Assembly, and Common Council are making decision about school resources, school safety, and school curriculum. As someone in the field, I know I can advocate for our children and our schools basing my decisions on my experience. Two of my educational priorities will be to push for universal pre-kindergarten and enhanced summer school option for students who are not on grade level.

It is also time to develop a plan for the riverfront. Whether that means a river walk with shops and cafes or preserving it as open space and creating hiking trails is something that the residents of Middletown need to decide. From talking to voters, many seem to favor a smart mix of both, as long as families are at the core of whatever is decided.

We must be business friendly. Businesses are welcome in Middletown. That should be my motto. I was very pleased when my barber, MC Barber, informed me that he was opening up a new location on Main Street because he has family members who owned restaurants on Main Street and he knew how happening our downtown is every day and every night.

Our environment is always something I will consider as a Common Council member. We need to consider all measures to curb our carbon imprint. More electric vehicle charging stations across town and solar panels on municipal buildings are two ways we can start to alter our dependence on fossil fuels.

Over the past month, as I have campaigned for others and started talking to voters, I have noticed a lot of anger between Republicans and Democrats. I know we have differences, but I look forward to hearing from all residents of Middletown. I was recently told, “I’m with Trump. I hate all you Democrats.” I refuse to believe that this is how most people feel about opposing parties.

I look forward to hearing from you either via the Middletown Eye or on my Facebook page, or via email, mangiafico4middletown@gmail.com

Thank you.
Anthony

No comments: