Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Kellin Atherton Forces Primary for Planning and Zoning

From Kellin Atherton.
--------------
Democratic candidate for Planning and Zoning commission member Kellin Atherton announced today that his campaign collected the needed signatures to force a primary. Signatures are still being counted at the time of this release, but it is estimated that in less than a week Kellin for Middletown collected over 900 signatures in order to clear the threshold needed of 610.

“I am gratified and humbled,” said Atherton. “This decision was inspired by the fact that the people of Middletown deserve representation on Planning and Zoning that will value conservation of our green and open spaces, smart business development, and accountable city planning. Along with that – my brief conversations with Richard Pelletier, Beth Emery, and Thom Pattavina validate my conversations with community members that I will be a compliment, and not a disruption, to their experience and service to the people of Middletown.

“I am also thankful to Lisa Santangelo and the entire Registrar of Voters office for their professionalism and support. Their patience and kindness for my volunteers and family was such a bright point in this process.

“Many would say the Democratic coalition in town is split, and there’s probably some truth to that. However, I received signatures from volunteers and candidates of all the various coalitions because they trusted me and saw that my family and I are in this for Middletown’s short and long-term future.

“Quality of character, along with diversity of experience, are extremely valuable, even on a small scale like Municipal Planning and Zoning. Running a fast-paced campaign up against the calendar is not how I expected my first run for public office to go. Even in the last week I took time to reach out to supporters and volunteers to say thank you, be genuine, and be myself. I was so worried with the clock ticking that taking the time to do these things would be what left me short. Instead, it’s what inspired volunteers to turn out, or inspired Middletown Democrats to stop in the summer heat to sign my petition.”

No comments: