Mayor Daniel T. Drew and the Middletown Commission on the Arts are putting out a call for the city's second poet laureate.
Submission deadline is Aug. 3 at 4:30 p.m. Candidates may download or print the nomination form HERE
- Nominees must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment
- The poet laureate must have a strong desire to be actively engaged in the community by performing his or her own work and/or sharing that work and talent with the public.
- Poets may self-nominate or be recommended by a Middletown resident.
- Candidates may not be MCA commissioners or staff.
- Nominees must be full-time Middletown residents for at least one year prior to the nomination date.
- He or she must be experienced in the field of poetry and be able to fulfill duties of the position.
Poet laureate opportunities:
- A reception in his or her honor.
- Promote awareness of poetry in Middletown by participating in city and statewide events as an official representative of the city.
- Promote at least one public event per year or as requested by the mayor and/or the MCA.
- Foster public appreciation of, and participation in, poetry and literary arts activities in schools, colleges and the local community.
- Represent Middletown within the Connecticut Coalition of Poets Laureate.
Terms of service:
- The poet laureate will serve for three years with the possibility of renewal.
- The individual chosen must maintain Middletown residency during his or her term.
- He or she will be a nonvoting member of the Middletown Commission on the Arts.
- Download or print the nomination form and review the description and selection process.
To be considered for the position, mail the application along with the information requested below to the Arts & Culture office in care of Crystal Laffan, Room B-11, Municipal Building, 245 deKoven Drive, Middletown, CT 06457.
- Selection of work samples in print or online
- Expression of intent, including specific availability for fulfilling the role
- Three personal references
For information, contact the city arts office at email@example.com or 860-638-4510.
Following the review and interview process, the MCA Poet Laureate subcommittee will make its recommendation to the panel. The mayor will appoint the poet laureate. The panel hopes to appoint the city's next poet laureate in October.