Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Reported Opinion Piece From A Write-In Mayoral Candidate

Submitted by Brian Clark, write-in candidate for mayor. The Eye publishes all signed, responsible opinion or reported pieces. If you think the Eye is missing something, write it up and send it in!
-----------------------
I attended the Meet the Candidates Event, last night, at the Green Street Arts Center, and it really was a great event, where we all got to mingle, and share ideas, and generally just shake off the partisan overtones and just discuss our vision for the future of Middletown. I’m not one who much cares if you personally are Democrat or Republican; I’m a Christian, number 1, and that means I’m not perfect by any means, and number 2, we’re all humans and we all make mistakes.

Folks know, however, I am friendlier with the Republican Candidates, and do you know why that is? It’s because they never refused a meeting with me, and we have always exchanged ideas, and we don’t agree on everything, but then again who does? Last night, however, I spent plenty of time with Democrats, and we talked about what is best for the city of Middletown. I had a conversation with Tom Serra, who I’ve known most of my life, and he said something I’ll always remember: “There’s 3 ways you can go about this. The Democrat way, the Republican way, or the Middletown way, and (referring to his relationship with Dan Drew), no one has ever told Mr. Serra what to do. Mr. Serra does what’s right for Middletown!” A great statement.

So we are all wondering, at least I was. Now that Dan Drew and Brian E. Clark are in the same room, how is that going to play out? I’ll tell you exactly how it played out: I was talking with Jon Pulino for about 10 minutes, and Dan Drew was speaking with his people. I wanted to speak with Mr. Drew, because, yes, we are engaged in a battle with the lives of over 43,000 people at stake, but there’s a time and place for everything, and last night wasn’t about attacking anyone. It was about being cordial, meet the public, and discuss topics with each other. In the conversation with Mr. Pulino, I made eye contact many times with Mr. Drew, and then about 20 minutes in to the even, Dan Drew left. And it was out the back door!

Mr. Drew, we may battle through articles, and letters, and yes, I am abrasive and unrestrained, but this is my City I’m fighting for. You are not from Middletown, so I can see why you lack passion. I don’t get why you lack a personality, decency, and a cheerful disposition when you choose politics as a career option. Not being from here is no excuse.

If you claim you are for the people of Middletown, and allegedly you have done all these great things, why are you playing like I stole your toy truck in the sandbox? I may not have a politics background, but I have served the public saving lives as an EMT, and rescuing many as a Firefighter. I was 22 when 9/11 happened, and had been in the field since 1996 (1993 if you count the Police Explorers).  I’ll be honest, and I’ve never spoken of this, ever, to anyone; I didn’t save any lives that day, or in the days that followed. 20 people survived, and it wasn’t just the FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD there, but thousands of Firefighters, EMT, Paramedics, and Rescue dogs, from all over America and Canada, and we all worked together for that chance. That one chance that we could save just one life. My point is simple, it didn’t matter who we were, or where we came from, we all worked as one, towards a single goal, and we did it to the best of our ability.

So no, I don’t have a background in politics. I don’t need one. I know how to work with all people towards a common goal, to make my City, better. Last I checked, there is no class available on how to be a Mayor, or Governor, or President. George Washington had what I have, a willingness to serve, and fight for what is right. You will not get in my way Mr. Drew. I will roll right over you.
Next time though, I’ll shake your hand and listen to whatever you have to say, because you too, are a resident of Middletown, for now, and that means I care for you and your family too. I don’t hate you Mr. Drew. I don’t hate anyone. Hate is what is wrong with this world. Today, let’s strive to hate a little less.

I am Brian E. Clark, and I approve this message.

1 comment:

B. Clark, Criminal Justice & Victims Advocate said...

Sadly, just after this article was posted, I got my second chance to meet and speak with Dan Drew outside of Main Street Market, in the rear, near City Hall. He, and two of his staff was there with him. I had an appointment to get to but I stopped, and turned around, seeing he was busy, again I made eye contact directly, and what did he do? He ran to his Make- Believe Police car, and drove away. Not bothered, I continued with my evening. Dan Drew you can't avoid me. I was here before you came, I'm here now, and I'll be here after you're gone. I love Middletown. It is my home.