Attention Young Writers!Russell Library is sponsoring the 2015 Edna and Benjamin Shenker Creative WritiContest. The contest is held in memory of Mrs. Shenker, who was an avid reader and library user, and Dr. Shenker, a wonderful supporter of the Library. The theme this year is: “Who is your hero…”
Who is your hero and why?
Is your hero real or imaginary?
Put on your thinking (or imagination) hat – all ideas are welcome. Write on!
All elementary and middle school students who live in or attend school in Middletown can enter.
Judges will award prizes for the best entry written in the 2015-2016 school year by students in Grades 1-8. It may be a short story, essay or poem. Winners in each grade receive a gift certificate to The Book Bower in Main Street Market: First Place winners receive a $50.00 certificate, Second Place winners a $25.00 certificate, and Third Place winners a $10.00 certificate. Judging will be based solely on the merits of the entries. All writers are invited to the Shenker Contest Literary Tea on Thursday, December 10, 2015, at 7:00 p.m., in the Hubbard Room, for the awards presentation.
1. Each writer may submit one entry only.
2. The writing must be your original work.
3. There is no minimum or maximum number of words but the entry cannot be longer than three pages.
4. Entries may be hand printed but must be legible. First and second grade entries must be hand printed.
5. All entries must be on 8½” x 11” paper.
6. Submit the original and three (3) copies with one contest application form stapled on top.
7. Write your name on the application form only – not on the story, essay or poem. This ensures fairness.
8. Please do not include artwork or special binding.
9. All entries must be turned in to Russell Library by 5:00 p.m., Saturday, October 10, 2015.
10. Winners in each grade group will be notified by mail in late November. Unfortunately, due to the number of entries, every submission cannot be acknowledged but all entries are appreciated.
Application forms available at the Russell Library or online
Submit entries to: Director, Russell Library, 123 Broad Street, Middletown, CT 06457