Saturday, January 29, 2011

Queer Liberation Front Teach-In at Javapalooza Sunday




The Queer Liberation Front will hold a teach-in Sunday at noon after a reported incident in which Neil Dinerman,  the owner of the Main Street coffeeshop, Javapalooza, allegedly physically ejected a patron from the shop using derisive anti-homosexual insults in the process.  The young man who alleges the abuse has asked for anonymity.

"I didn't put a hand on anyone," Dinerman said Saturday.  "I got angry, and I lost my temper, and I said things I shouldn't have."

Dinerman explained that the young man entered the store with a coffee from another shop, a national chain.  Driscoll confirms that detail.

"I'm trying to run a business here, on a paper thin margin, so when someone comes in with a coffee from another place, it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull," Dinerman said.  "I asked him to leave and he and his friends laughed at me.

Dinerman admits to using obscenities, but said that his choice of insult was not determined by any perception of the young man's sexual orientation.

"I said things I shouldn't have," Dinerman said, indicating that his choice of curse words which may be considered anti-homosexual was inadvertent.

"I was chose those other words, and they were completely inappropriate," Dinerman said.

According to Melanie Driscoll, a spokesperson for the Queer Liberation Front, the group is meeting with Dinerman Saturday to ask for an apology and to inform him that they are planning to hold a teach-in at his shop on Sunday.  Driscoll and others plan to meet with Dinerman Saturday to discuss their plans for the teach-in.  Dinerman confirmed the meeting.

"I apologize for getting angry and using those words," Dinerman said.  "I have no prejudice against anyone because of their sexual orientation.  Of course I respect them, but I'd ask them, in return, to respect a struggling business owner trying to make a go of it when profits are slim."

Driscoll expects the teach-in to draw a crowd.  As of this posting,  Facebook site reports 191 individuals planning to attend the teach-in.

"As paying patrons we are allowed to," Driscoll said.  "And we plan to do it whether he (Dinerman) allows it or not."

"I don't plan on preventing the meeting," Dinerman said.  "I think it could be helpful.  And, I'll take the business.  We could use it."

According to a Queer Liberation Front press release:


On Sunday, January 30th, 2011, at 12 PM, Queer Liberation Front and allies are organizing a peaceful “Know Your Rights!” teach-in at Javapalooza in Middletown to demand from Mr. Dinerman a public apology, show of goodwill toward the queer community, and allowance to conduct our teach-in without interference.


According to Driscoll, the young man who alleged the assault, and his parents reported complaints to  "the mayor, the Chamber of Commerce, the police, the head of Consumer Protection, and the CT Commission of Human Rights and Opportunities."  Driscoll said that none of these groups provided assistance. 
"Did I use foul language? Yes," Dinerman said.  "Do I apologize.  Yes, or course.  But I don't apologize for throwing someone out who brings a competitor's coffee in here."

8 comments:

Vinnie said...

Neil doesn't have a prejudice bone in his body. This is a crock....

Anonymous said...

This is not the first time that I have heard a story about the owner of Javapolooza being rude to customers and in some extreme cases even putting his hands on people. I don't think that this is anyway for the owner of a Main Street business to behave.

I look forward to someone finally calling him on his bad behavior. I can't help but wonder why it has been allowed to go on for this long.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for letting people know that behavior is not right. But at the same time I feel afraid of what's going to happen to the store. So many people protesting will be bad for business. I'm torn.

Settle it outside of court, so to speak.

Anonymous said...

freedom of speech in this country is now gone. This country is being turned upside down for certain groups. America has died.

Anonymous said...

I thought we were living in America. Now certain groups have more right then others.

so baroque said...

I'm confused by all of these comments...
Plain and simple: Neil handled the situation in a terribly insulting and unprofessional and THAT is what is bad for business!!
Whether he meant to or not, he clearly offended a young person who is just coming to terms with their sexuality.
I think the teach in is a great idea. People need to be reminded that words hurt and as well, that one's sexual orientation does not dictate who they are as human being.
@anonymous-How does this group exercising their right indicate in any way that they have more of a right than others?

Bill Michtom said...

I think having a teach-in there is brilliant. Based on the quotes in the article, I think this will bring people together in the best possible way.

Anonymous said...

The staff there is always a bit rude. If I am spending 4-6 dollars on a cup of coffee, I would prefer to go where I am respected and welcome. There are other locations in town where they treat their customers as individuals and guests.

I am not surprised by this story one bit.

I boycotted Javapalooza since last summer.