Wednesday, January 12, 2011

City Get Serious About Snow Parking Ban

Tuesday night the city began to clear the streets before the snow even began to fall.

Tow trucks swarmed Pearl Street towing away cars parked in the street.  However one tow truck driver got a surprise when he went to hook up a car with Massachusetts plates.   It was a surprise that is a tragic tale of out time.  Inside the car was a man wrapped in heavy winter clothing and a sleeping bag.  He was prepared to spend the night in the cold cab of his car, until the tow truck came along.

The driver called in the police, and three patrol cars arrived, along with Public Works director Bill Russo.

The car occupant refused to open the window of his vehicle to communicate with police.  The commanding officer asked Russo's permission to give him a few minutes to try to convince the man to move his cars.  After a few minutes of shouting through the window, the man agreed to move his car, and drove away.

The police dispersed, and the tow trucks went back to their work of clearing the streets of parked cars.

The snow began to fall lazily at about 10:45 PM.

7 comments:

Madam Nirvana (Molly Salafia) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madam Nirvana (Molly Salafia) said...

Although it doesn't sound like this man wanted to discuss the situation, i hope they asked why he was sleeping in his car and offered a safer place to park or a ride to the shelter. Very sad situation.

Anonymous said...

The justice system is seriously messed up. They bother this guy yet let "The Toilet Flushing Burgular" with 13 other charges against him roam the streets, out on bail !!! Come on people.

Anonymous said...

Typical middletown employees. Instead of helping someone obviously in need they harass him.

Anonymous said...

I bet they didn't tow one car from the Wesleyan university area. I know in other storms the north end cars get towed as they should. But then you can drive around by Wesleyan campus with snowbound cars everywhere on city streets.
Why is it one way for others parts of Middletown, but Wesleyan gets a pass.

Bill Anderson said...

My name is Bill Anderson. I am the person involved in the incident. I have a Master's degree but have been homeless since Oct 2007 because the FBI has had me fired from all 5 jobs I have held in the Boston area in an attempt to get me to leave. I visit my father who lives in elderly housing on Church St but can't stay with him permanently. During the incident that night, Middletown police first ordered me out of the car or told me I would be arrested. Then the officer threatened to break the driver's window on the car if I did not get out of the car or roll down the window. I knew if I got out of the car they would tow it so I told them to arrest me and break the window. They chose neither and eventually let me drive away. Boston police have done the same thing attempting to tow my car when they thought it wasn't registered. Twice I have rolled down my window to talk with them and they reached in to unlock it, once to illegally search me and my car. Boston officer Law said if I did not leave the area, I would get a good beating. Another Boston officer followed me into a McDonalds restroom and challenged me to a fight. No civil liberties group will help me and no media will report what FBI and police are doing. Police have also banned me from 9 public places in the Boston area. One Middletown officer asking me to roll down my window was officer Clark. I did not get the name of the other officer threatening to arrest me and break the window of my car. My email is soxin8@hotmail.com but I have never received an email from anyone willing to help me in any way. I am a white male, 52, and can be found in the Russell library often now when it is opened. If the moderater allows this to post, it will be the first time my story has been told in any newspaper. Bill Anderson

Anonymous said...

Middletown Eye, I hope you will be posting my comment about the incident in question, although I wonder if anyone will notice it 3 days later. It is a sure bet the Middletown Press will not be talking about me. I hope you are willing to break a national story of FBI and police crime that has been directed against me for the last 10 years. Bill Anderson soxin8@hotmail.com