Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rave Reviews and Something called a Virus Battery

O'Rourke's Diner has issued the first edition of their newsletter "Rave Reviews." and it is a darned beautiful newsletter at that with a cover photo of a colorful dinner plate at the first theme night dinner, “An Evening of Irish Hospitality” on Saturday, February 13th.

The newsletter also includes a recipe for Apple and Pear Crumble, announces new bread baking adventures of a bread called "BARM BRACK", announces upcoming St. Patrick's Day takeout of Corned Beef and Cabbage, includes coverage of a night of fundraising for an organization called Inured Haiti, and there is warm expression of general gratitude from Brian O'Rourke.

My favorite part of this newsletter was this little gem of an interview of one of the staff at O'Rourke's - I absolutely adore the open and scattered answer he provided to the last question... thanks for the gift of you James!

MEET THE STAFF - JAMES DAY
What is your full name?
James Matthew Day

Where were you born?
Seattle, Washington, but I grew up in a city just south of there ca'ed Renton.
How long have you worked at O’Rourke’s? Since July of 2009

What is something not too many people know about you?
Secrets, I imagine. I have a degree in Anthropology and had a great time as an archeologist. Also, I illustrated the Kids Menu at O’Rourke’s.

What are your special interests? People, places, music, food, microbrews, a good pen that doesn’t dry out, a rectifier pedal for my bass amp, headphones that don’t break, and the most recent Hubble space photographs.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I illustrate and paint, make crazy space type music, and help run the MAC650 Ga'ery down the street. I like to travel when I can with my beautiful fiance.

What is your favorite item on the menu?
Oh boy. I have a few favorite items. Colcannon with poached eggs and corned beef hash is a wonderful combo, but our blueberry pancake special with clotted cream and a side of lamb sausage is killer. For lunch, my favorite sandwich is a toss-up between the Jay Seeley’s Turkey Encore or the Brian’s Reuben. My favorite burger is the Smoked Burger.

What is the best part about working at O’Rourke’s?
I really like working for someone who takes a lot of pride in their product, ad it’s more fulfi'ing to go to work knowing I’m involved with something of more substance than anywhere else. The atmosphere of the diner and camaraderie is something I can’t praise highly enough, and I’ve made good friends on both sides of the counter.

Is there anything exciting that you want to share?
We’re working on an Irish Music night at the Gallery on March 19th, with more details to follow. I just became an uncle for the second time! My cat is almost a year old. I’m working on another comic. I think it just stopped snowing! There’s something called a Virus Battery, which is rechargeable power cell that uses bacteriophages as electrodes. Phages are viruses that infect only bacteria, and are genetically engineered to self assemble and conduct electricity. Apparently they can be scaled to be used for applications from cell phones to cars. Weird.

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Are you a fan of O’Rourke’s? Would you like to share one of your favorite experiences with us
in our next newsletter? If so, write us an e-mail about one of your most memorable visits and send it to orourkesdiner@gmail.com with a subject line of “Rave Reviews”.

This includes pictures,articles, reviews and recipes. Make sure you write a note giving us permission to share it.

We will do our very best to publish it in our next newsletter.

Don’t have e-mail? We still want to hear about your experience. Write it all down and send it on in! *Please be sure to write a note with your review giving us permission to share your submission in our next newsletter. Make sure to include your name! We look forward to hearing from you!
O’Rourke’s Diner
“Rave Reviews”
728 Main Street
Middletown, CT 06457


Thank you for all of your support!

No comments: