Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Opinion: Florsheim's Vision For Our City Shows He Belongs In Middletown

Submitted by Noah Baerman.
------------------
I am writing to offer a counterpoint to the narrative I have been hearing about Ben Florsheim, candidate for mayor, that emphasizes the comparatively recent planting of his Middletown roots. I do not see this as a disadvantage, much less something that should limit serious consideration of his qualification to lead our city.

I have been a Middletown resident, voter, and taxpayer for 21 years. Technically that represents less than half my life, so I lack the born-and-raised connection to the town. I didn't grow up attending Oddfellows Playhouse, though my wife worked there and served on the board. I didn't attend Middletown High, though my kids did. I didn't do my childhood research projects at the Russell Library, though I now curate a musical series there. The point is that we have chosen to make Middletown our home and to engage with the city in that way. In this way I feel particularly frustrated by the suggestion that Ben's connection to Middletown is lacking because he was a Wesleyan student who fell in love with our city and chose to stay. He cares about Middletown and has ideas that show a clear understanding of and devotion to our residents and a vision for a future that improves upon things while acknowledging that which is already thriving.

If voters prefer the ideas of other candidates, it is their democratic right to vote accordingly, but I hope the final weeks of the primary process can move forward with a focus on the issues and not subtle or overt attempts to discredit Mr. Florsheim's legitimacy as a candidate.

No comments: