Sunday, February 19, 2012

From 1927: A Blot On The Escutcheon

The following article is from 85 years ago today, published in the Hartford Courant on February 19, 1927.
The photograph is the only one I can find on-line of Middletown Railroad Stations. It is from a delightful article about Vincent Amato and the 70th anniversary of his toy store on Main Street.

------------------
Middletown Railroad Station Shown in That Light.

To the Editor of The Courant:--
After an absence of 18 years, I paid Middletown, in your State, a visit during the first week of this month, and as I was accustomed to send in items to "The Courant" quite frequently during my five years' pastorate there, I venture once more to send you an observation from that pretty New England city, which crowded into my mind when I revisited it.

One observes many changes after an absence of 18 years. I found the dear, old members of my former church there living in better and more modern homes than they could afford 18 years ago, and they enjoyed more conveniences of every kind. Most of them had a garage and an automobile. Not one of them was equipped in that way 18 years ago, but the old, dark, unpleasant New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad station had defied all influences of betterment.

My Sunday school children had grown up, and I met them as ambitious, happy, and successful young men and women. Some of them lived in attractive homes that they had purchased with the reward of their toil. And these homes all had touches of skilled hands and artistic minds. The very walls spoke of the happiness that dwelt in that home, and I rejoiced to see this, but the New York, New Haven & Haretford Railroad station at Middletown spoke to me only of neglect, gloom and stagnation.

In my religious belief I have thrown my lot with the fundamentalists, and Darwin's evolution theories do not appeal to me, but after coming in contact with the soot and dirt of the railroad station at Middletown, I decided that either evolution or revolution have their proper places, and it would be a fine achievement if they could switch the station of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad out of its ruts.

The church in which I preached 18 years ago in Middletown, supported by wage-earners, had in many ways kept abreast with the times and it looked inviting and was spick and span, as a house of worship should be. The people that gather there are glad to keep the house of God in order, but .... the railroad station remains the dilapidated little shack out of date 18 years ago.

Anyhow Main Street in that city had been improved. Renovated shops, new modern stores, fine buildings that spoke of Middletown's ambition to go ahead as a business center. At night my eyes were dazzled by the lights on the "great, white way," but the station stood wrapped in dimness.

After 18 years absence Middletown appeared to me like a strong ambitions [sic] youth, trained for the race and ready to start ahead. I admire his fine tall stature. His arm is strong, his face reflects determination to win, and his heart is filled with noble ambition. But as I stood there admiring this fine specimen of strength, I noticed to my surprise that the foot of this youth Middletown, was shackled to the ground, and he could not advance. I bent down and looked closely, and I found that the chain that bound the young wrestler was inscribed with the famous insignia--New York, New Haven, & Hartford Railroad.

(REV.) J.A. LILJENGREW. Ahstabula, Ohio, Feb. 16. 1927.

No comments: