Sunday, March 15, 2009

The First Pansies


At least one Middletown gardener has confidence that Spring is here.

This weekend I saw crocuses in bloom, and a pair of robins, but when I saw this intrepid gardener planting pansies near her walk on Washington Street, I knew I no longer had Winter to fear.

One of the advantages of living in an urban environment is that the wealth (?) of concrete and blacktop acts as a heat sink, and mitigates the effects of the cold allowing plants along South facing walls and walks to bloom earlier than their country cousins.

3 comments:

steadyjohn said...

Perhaps she was planting "Ice Pansies"

steadyjohn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ice Pansies can only be planted in the Fall. These were plain old "I hope they hold up if we get more snow" pansies.

-intrepid gardener