Monday, November 14, 2011

Hey, Thanks

COMMENTARY by Ed McKeon (Ed is one of the founders of the Middletown Eye, and a newly-elected member of the Board of Education).

I don't think I'm overstating the effect that the Middletown Eye, and other newsites, along with social media, has had on the success of my campaign for a seat on the Middletown Board of Education.  Thanks for voting.

The Middletown Eye gave me, and other citizen journalists, a voice in city issues.  It allowed me to introduce myself to my fellow residents, and in the end, it propelled me from my role as voluntary newsblogger, to that of candidate, and now voluntary board member.  No pay increase for me.

I hope I can honor the ideals we cherish here at the Eye, and I hope that the frustration that launched me into municipal activism is transformed into the energy to do good, to do the right thing and to encourage greater transparency and accountability in the district.  I want to address every issue with one question in mind: what's best for the students.

I won't discount the power of running on the Democratic line of the ballot either.  The results show us to be a powerfully Democratic community, and I urge my colleagues to adhere to those Democratic ideals.

I can already see that doing a good job on the Board of Ed is going to take energy, commitment and a lot of hard work.  But I intend for my name to continue to be associated with the Middletown Eye.  I won't be reporting on BOE meetings, but I get the feeling that there will be other issues appropriate for me to address.

I invite you to the first BOE meeting Wednesday, and to all the meetings that follow.  An effective BOE is one that represents the community, embraces the efforts of teachers and staff, celebrates the success of students and is willing to listen to all stakeholders.

The only way to create excellence in our schools is to work together.  I hope you'll join me and the rest of the members of the Board of Education in pursuing this goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased the citizens of Middletown voted you to the BOE. We NEED desperately a strong leader! I know you will excel in your new position. Let's start cleaning house.