Friday, April 2, 2010

Old Sledge House Concert, Tuesday

Old Sledge
House Concert
Appalachian and Old-Time Music
Tuesday April 6, 7 PM

Three years ago I met a young Wesleyan student who had just begun playing the banjo.  She and her friends from Wellness House stopped at my door on Halloween dressed as the Coon Creek Girls, and were surprised to learn that I knew who the Coon Creek Girls were.

One of those young women, Anna Roberts-Gevalt, was in the initial stages of an obsession with banjo music, and Appalachian, Old-Timey and Bluegrass music.  She spent a semester in Kentucky and sat at the knees of banjo masters.  She began playing fiddle, both Appalachian and Cajun-style.  And once in a while she babysat my kids.

By the time she graduated, she was a banjo demon.  She moved to Virginia to continue her musical pursuits, and last year formed Old Sledge, a trio with her two friends Chance McCoy and Sabra Guzman.  They just released their first album.

Tuesday my wife and I will host a house concert with Old Sledge.  Tickets are $10, and the band gets to keep all the money.  The concert starts at 7 PM (I know it's at the same time as the BOE meeting, but I scheduled the show before they scheduled the meeting), and we're only seating 30.  We have about 20 spaces left.  If you want to reserve a space, call 860-344-9674.
 

No comments: