Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Judith Russo Resigns From Board of Ed

In a letter to the City Clerk, and to Board of Education chairman, Ted Raczka, Democratic member of the board Judith Russo has resigned citing "health issues."

Russo received the second-highest vote count for Democratic Board of Ed candidates in the November elections.

According to BOE chair Ted Raczka, Russo is facing knee surgeries as a result of a fall several months back.

"She thought she'd be missing all of February, March and April," Raczka said. "And she thought that was unfair to the board."

Russo's resignation was sent to Raczka and Town Clerk Sandra Russo-Driska who forwarded it to the mayor. The mayor has informed the Common Council that a replacement must be selected within 30 days. The Council will select and vote in a replacement either at their next regular meeting. Democratic BOE candidate Bill Grady is on the Council agenda as a proposed replacement for Russo. Grady was the next highest vote getter on the Democratic ticket with 3705 votes in the November election.

"Usually, if it's a Republican resignation the Council appoints a Republican, and if it's a Democratic resignation, they appoint a Democrat," Raczka said. "I hope they act quickly because we have a busy couple of months coming up with redistricting and budget."

"I'm certainly going to miss Judy," Raczka said. "She worked hard, and she was good-hearted."

Here is Russo's letter in full:

Please accept this email correspondence as my resignation from the Board of Education of the City of Middletown effective as of this date.

I have greatly enjoyed my time as a member of the Board of Education but have learned recently that my future participation will be severely limited during the next year and possibly beyond due to health issues. The business of the Board of Education requires the full participation of the members. It would be improper to remain when I know I will not be able to do so.

I offer my best wishes to my Board colleagues and the entire school system


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Bill Grady. Perhaps he will contribute more than Russo who usually seemed asleep during BOE meetings. Bill please bring independent thought and not party politics to the Board. The administraion needs a reality check in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

I agree.

While I wish Russo well, I am looking forward to more active involvement by Grady. Good luck, Bill!