Monday, October 18, 2021

Kelly Sweeney, Planning and Zoning Candidate

Submitted by Kelly Sweeney. The Eye welcomes reader submissions, middletowneye@gmail.com

--------------------

I'm Kelly Sweeney and I'm running for Planning & Zoning Commissioner as a Democrat.

I've been involved in our community for years and in various board roles since 2017. I've chosen those roles for their value to our community, they include the Board of Ethics and Charter Revision Commission. I was encouraged by leaders in our community to pursue my run for P&Z for my logical approach to creating solutions and ability to leverage communication to build engagement.

Middletown has a healthy development profile and we’re lucky to have a community with a flourishing Main Street. My primary goal is to make decisions for our community that keep a balance between business and residents. Where P&Z enters— I'm looking for plans that preserve green space, incorporate redevelopment (blend past and future), include affordable housing and people comforts, and overall promotion of the best interest of residents.

I attended the first session in the visioning workshop for the riverfront redevelopment. Participating the open exchange of ideas and listening to residents share my vision for balance was really encouraging to me. I look forward to seeing that plan take shape and incorporate the gold mine of quality ideas and suggestions.  

Professionally I work in marketing for Robinson & Cole LLP, specifically focused on digital marketing and technology. I hope that my experience in marketing and communication will aid in generating awareness and attendance at public hearings and foster engagement with the community where ongoing development is concerned.

I learned the value of civic mindedness at an early age and my family participated in many organizations in my youth. I continued this through my young adult years and then when I fell in love with Middletown.

I obtained my B.A. in Political Science from Emmanuel College and my M.S. in Communication from Central Connecticut State University (CCSU). I share my life with my partner Melissa (Cytogeneticist) and her son Konnor (10). In addition to my various political roles in Middletown, I also serve as Technology Deacon at First Church.

Visit my campaign site at facebook.com/kellysweeney4middletown for more information.

No comments: