Friday, April 6, 2018

An Introduction To Democratic State Delegate Kellin Atherton

Editorial note. 
This year almost all of the state-wide elected offices are open, and as a result the State nominating conventions are expected to be hotly contested. Thus, the selection of delegates to the conventions has been closely watched by partisans. 

The majority of delegates to previous Democratic Party conventions have been well-known local politicians, such as Dan Drew, Matt Lesser, Rob Blanchard, Carl Chisem, and Bob Santangelo. None of these men were selected this year by the Democratic Town Committee (although other established politicians were, for example, Elizabeth Santangelo, Tom Serra, Quentin Phipps, and Mary Bartolotta). 

Some of the new delegates to the state convention are young, have not run for elective office, and hence may not be known to many in the city. 

One of them, Kellin Atherton, sent The Eye the following to introduce himself to the city. 
-----------------
As chosen by your Democratic Town Committee as a delegate to the state convention following a time of change and uncertainty, in a spirit of unity and conviction in Democratic and Progressive values, a new face and voice, I wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Kellin Atherton and I’ve lived in Middletown for over 5 years now – 2 as a renter and 3 as a homeowner. I live off of West Lake and I’m working on organizing a neighborhood cleanup and canvass there once it gets warmer. I’ve been married almost 7 years. My wife is an early childhood teacher in New Haven at one of the best ECE facilities in the state. We have a son who is almost 5 and a daughter who is 3 and they go to her school all day, every day. Our American Dream is to open an early childhood facility one day.

Both of my children had their 1st birthday parties at Green St. Art Space. My son’s 4th last year was at Smith Park – we took he and his friends on a scavenger hunt on the gravel path that runs through the woods there. The other parents raved about the party but all we did if you really think about it was take some kids for a walk in a park in Middletown.

I finished my MBA online while living in Middletown and working for a Pharmaceutical manufacturer in Centerbrook. The owner there is a good man and I helped his state senate campaign in 2016 doing field work.

Now I work for an aerospace consulting company. A few years ago I organized a children’s book drive through work. I’m a dedicated father and a big advocate for valuing Early Childhood Education and, more simply, reading to the children in your life. In fact, you can find my family and I at Russell library almost every week. I’ve got receipts.

Since 2005 from time to time I’ve worked for Save the River – Save the Hills. They’re an environmental non-profit keeping the Niantic River and Oswegatchie Hills preserved from pollution and land development. My grandfather, Fred Grimsey, started the organization. I worked for him and the DEP as a Marine Sanitation Technician on their Pumpout Boat. That’s the boat that comes around, slip to slip, for free, to empty the septic tanks on all the yachts and Grady White’s. Literally taking crap from drunk, sunburnt, rich guys all day long. But you know it’s the best job I’ve ever had. Being outside. In the sun. On the River. Helping my grandfather.

Now, I think about Middletown. Now, I think about West Lake. I’m thinking about all the town has in store for my community, and what the plans will be for the new park there, and will there be environmental integrity, and how can the community have a say in it, and does West Lake know about it, and what can I do and what can Middletown do to answer these and other questions on issues that impact the people of our town and as a delegate I will support these efforts.

Thank you.
Kellin Atherton

No comments: