Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sean King, Democratic Candidate for Board of Education, Bio

EDITOR'S NOTE:  Sean King is one of two candidates (Sue Wesoloski is the other) who forced a primary for a place on the ballot as a Democratic candidate for Board of Education.  As a challenger, his name will be on Line B of the primary ballot.  Line A consists of candidates chosen by the Democratic Town Committee.  King submitted more than 500 signatures to secure a place on the primary ballot.

My name is Sean King, and I am running for a seat on the Middletown Board of Education.  I have been a Middletown resident for nearly ten years, and I have been a life-long public servant in both a professional and volunteer capacity. I presently work as an attorney and consumer advocate at the Office of the Healthcare Advocate in Hartford.

I am a proud husband and father of two children currently in the Middletown school system at Spencer School.  As a member and past president of the Spencer School PTA, I have had the pleasure of meeting many of the talented and caring educators in whom we entrust the safety and intellectual growth of our children.  Through my conversations with teachers and other families, I have developed a firm understanding of the countless positive ways that our schools are impacting our children's lives, as well as some of the challenges that our schools will face now and in the years to come. 

As our city continues to grow economically, I will continue to advocate for more resources to be devoted to expanding educational programs for our children, including early learning opportunities such as pre-K and foreign language learning in the elementary schools.  I would also like our schools to provide our children with greater access to the technologies that they will need to use to be productive and successful as adults. It is also important that our school district adopts a redistricting strategy that draws on the incredible diversity of our population, provides for long-term racial and socio-economic balance within all of our schools and allows for a logical and efficient transportation plan to get every student conveniently to his or her designated school.


Please support me with your vote in the September 16th Democratic primary.

No comments: