Tuesday, December 21, 2010

SRO's Back In Middletown High School

The Middletown Board or Education voted unanimously to resurrect the Student Resource Officer program at Middletown High School beginning Jan. 3.  The program will run under strict guidelines developed by Acting Police Chief Patrick McMahon and Board of Education representative William Grady.  It was also vetted and approved by School Superintendent Michael Frechette and MHS principal Bob Fontaine.

SRO's will not, for now, return to Woodrow Wilson Middle School or Keigwin.  If the program is successful again in the High School, as is expected by both parties, it will be extended into those schools.

For now, two of the three trained officers will be assigned to Middletown High School.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Incarceration Nation, I'll try to keep an EYE on how many of the students caught up by the SRO's are black & brown males.

Anonymous said...

To Anon 11:26PM -
With people like you the program is sure to not work. Maybe you should take a more positive and involved role instead of automatically assuming the worst. And maybe if parents started parenting their children we wouldn't need officers in schools. We didn't have a need for them when I was growing up, but then parents were more involved in their children's upbringing.

Anonymous said...

This is not a race issue but a safety issue--period.

Bob S. said...

First, this is a good thing. Safety is important and I know that police officers will make my sister and her friends feel safer.
Second, there is no race issue. Police officers are not as a whole racist, people are racist and cops are people, contrary to popular belief. We need to just let them do their job.
In a school where kids have the audacity to fight and then lash out on teachers, I believe that police officers are necessary. Would you feel safe in a place where the kids harm the people in positions of power? What will they do to people who have no power over them?
The youth in Middletown are trending down the wrong path and this needs to be fixed.

Anonymous said...

As a high school teacher, I'll say that if a kid pushes me or hits me or otherwise threatens my safety, I want an officer there on the spot to arrest that kid. I don't really care what color the kid is. Does that make me a racist?