Friday, December 12, 2008

'Tis the Season for Holiday Parties



Last night, I went to the holiday social for Creative Juice** at the sale at Wesleyan Potters. Over an assortment of spicy cheeses (including an innocent yellow cheddar that turned out to be flavored with horseradish), I chatted with friends and took in the art. Conversation ranged from the economy (of course) to everyone's plans for the coming year: leaving a familiar job to try grad school in a new field, brainstorming about ways to make Middletown hum, and daydreaming about chucking it all to travel around the world in search of inspiration. As we wandered among the windchimes and wooden toys, I was thinking about how our little creative community is growing into something both supportive and stimulating -- I'm counting my blessings.

While I was trying to help Barbara Arafeh pick out a vest suitable for conducting her Middletuners, I accidentally fell in love with a felted hat, which later followed me home.

Whatever your plans in this busy December, I hope everyone is taking the time to enjoy moments with family and/or friends.



**Creative Juice (which I mean to write more about someday) is a council of the Chamber of Commerce. The focus is on people in the arts and creative industries. It's a mix of for-profits and non-profits, of individuals and arts associations, and all kinds of mediums, from writers, actors, photographers, filmographers, desginers, etc. The above holiday invitation was designed by a new member of the group, Middletown graphic designer Carla Neri-Jayson.

No comments: