Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More Middletown (okay, Wesleyan) hipness

(Grotesque, I know, but Michael Stipe was losing his religion.)

A few weeks ago we had a little get-together at the house, and we actually convinced a few adults to dance.

A song came on and someone said, "Who's this?"

"Santogold," I said. "She graduated from Wesleyan."

And while there were a few Wes students at the party, I was left to expound on the spate of very hip bands, some Wes grads, some still attending Wes, who are making their names in the music world.

(Floyd the barber.)


Now, I'm a 56 year old white guy, and though I know a lot about music, I'm about as hip as Floyd the barber, but just like Floyd the barber, I can spot a trend.

Yesterday, the uberhip music magazine Fader, hosted an online interview about the music scene at Wesleyan with Anna Weiner (Wesleyan 2009) who edits Aural Wes.

She talks about the bands Amazing Baby, Bear Hands, Boy Crisis, Francis and the Lights and Das Racist, who have all played shows at the college down the street. Seems there's something very special in the air, musically speaking, at Wesleyan these days.


The Fly - Bear Hands `Long Lean Queen` FlyTV In The Courtyard on MUZU.

Impress your teenagers and college kids home on break by walking around the house singing, "Jungle Fever."

All I can ask is, "Wes film students, where's the documentary?"

H/T Sheek at Wesleying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was this a Wesleyan party? I saw the crazy dancing from the street and tried to get in, but the 7-foot-tall guy at the door told me to beat it. And what is that person doing in the lower right corner of the picture? Did he drop his camera? And who is he anyway?