Monday, August 18, 2008

A perfect summer day...

No, I'm not geographically challenged: I do know that Lyman Orchards is in Middlefield, and this blog is supposed to be about Middletown. However, one of the reasons I love living in Middletown is because it takes about 10 minutes to get to Lyman Orchards from my house.

This past Saturday, after my son's first golf tournament at Miner Hills (a real gem for Middletown as far as he and my husband are concerned), we decided to visit the Peach festival at Lyman Orchards. The weather was fantastic: sunny, bright blue summer sky, and a slight breeze. We had yummy peach crisp, listened to the band, picked apples and peaches, and then braved the sunflower maze.


We've always done the corn maze in the fall, but I've never seen a sunflower maze. I have to admit that I'm a bit of a flower freak, and it was simply heavenly to be lost in the middle of three acres of sunflowers taller than me (my husband says we were never actually lost...). Do watch out for the honey bees, though, since they're working hard to pollinate said flowers, and they probably missed the memo about "bring-a-human-to-work" day.



Since there are only 16 days, 12 hours and about 3 minutes left until school starts (but hey, what mother is REALLY counting?), don't miss this opportunity to savor a tiny piece of summer fun while you can. A portion of the maze ticket price is being donated to the pediatric cancer unit at the Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford. Go here for more information and directions.

No comments: