Thursday, June 19, 2008

Okay, so what should I write about?






We've recruited five volunteer authors so far, and have not had a single posting. Of course, readers only return to blog sites when there's new content every day.

So, I've been asked, "what should I write about?"

The truth is, it would be wonderful if every post were about something of major significance in Middletown. But "major" is a relative term if you've ever read a daily paper.

From my perspective, this blog is about your perspective. It's about all the things major and minor that you'd chat to your neighbor about. That might be the drug dealer on the corner, the movie you saw last night, or the beautiful garden you passed on a walk.

Your blog neither needs to be deep or long. It can be shallow and short as long as it's interesting, first to you, and then, to others.

Here are a few of my minor considerations after a morning walk.

I was noticing what lovely architecture that one can find on humble homes, in humble neighborhoods. In fact, I often notice how many beautiful homes are hidden behind remarkably ugly siding, hideous additions, and years of neglect.

I did notice the presence of a certain sign on three buildings in the North End this morning. Sure this sign serves a practical purpose, but is it necessary? Is it legal? And doesn't it detract from the neighborhood? Not the least of which it advertises a particular towing company.

I also noticed that Wesleyan University is sprucing up a number of it's wooden structures, including the magnificent Russell House (though none of the houses on my street have been touched so far). That's good news, of course.

However, Wesleyan just demolished a house on the now infamous Fountain Avenue, which, I assume is making way for one of the new dorm style structures that they are building for student housing. This housing (one such is near finished on Pine Street), tries its best to fit into the street, but because of housing codes for multiple occupancy, the true porches have given way to faux portico, and the front steps are missing altogether.

I think Wesleyan should be applauded for trying to keep the character of their neighborhoods intact, and these neighborhoods on Pine and Fountain are surely dedicated to student housing, but I'd hate to see a house on Brainard Street taken down and replaced with the dorm style housing (I'm not aware of any plans to do such a thing). So, I'll make it my business to determine what Wesleyan's house demolition plans are. And when I find out, I'll let you know too.

That's the kind of stuff, along with the important decisions at town meetings, and the burglaries and the fires, that this blog should easily handle.

So, I invite you, once again to write. To write often. To write now.

Ed McKeon is a father, filmaker and radio show host (WWUH, WESU) who lives in Middletown.

No comments: