Saturday, June 28, 2008

A hill with a view


For my seventh hill in seven days, I wanted to get something I did not get from any of the first six hills--I wanted a view of Middletown from the top of one of its hills. Although there are spectacular views from Higby and Lamentation Mountains, and great views from near Bear Hill, in all cases the views are away from Middletown. Middletown's hills all seem to point their gentle slopes towards downtown, so the cliffs only provide views away from town. A hill in the east seemed to be the most likely candidate, so I headed east on Bow Lane from Old Saybrook Road and up into the hills, looking for any named hill with a steep slope pointing towards downtown. I summitted White Rock, a large rocky outcropping uphill from Cedar Lane, first. It was a short, fun climb, but alas the trees completely blocked any view.
I next went to a striking steep slope above the Asylum Reservoirs on Cedar. This is a beautiful outcropping on the Mattabessett Trail, and squinting through the vegetation I could almost make out a tiny bit of downtown. But not only was the view quite limited, I cannot find any indication that this outcropping has a name. Disappointed, I headed back down the hill.
Indian Hill is a gentle plateau, home to the Indian Hill Tree Farm (not to be confused with Indian Hill cemetery on Washington Street). Unfortunately, Indian Hill is low enough that the view of downtown is obstructed by an even lower hill in front of it.
Despairing and dispirited, I headed to the Institution on that hill. Connecticut Valley Hospital sits along a ridge whose highest point (slightly south of the buildings) is Tryon Hill (241'). It was late evening and hazy, so a clearer view will have to wait for another trip, but at last !!!! a Middletown hill with a with a view of Middletown.

No comments: