Monday, November 6, 2017

Nicholas Ficaro, Candidate For Planning And Zoning

Submitted by Nicholas Ficaro.
Publication does not reflect any endorsement, The Eye welcomes statements or opinion pieces by or about any and all candidates for municipal election. Submit to middletowneye@gmail.com
----------------
My name is Nicholas Ficaro. I moved to Middletown in 2011. I grew up in Southington and when it was time for my wife and I to settle down we were attracted to the the community of unique neighborhoods that make up Middletown.

The farmland, tight knit suburban neighborhoods,  and an urban downtown community all create the city’s unique identity.

The Planning and Zoning Commission has helped to shape and develop these communities. Helping to shape communities is why I want to be on the commission.

This is my first foray into politics. I had wanted to become involved and P&Z is where I can use my skills to to help the most.

I am currently an alternate on the Middletown Zoning Board of Appeals, and I am an architect.  This will bring a unique perspective to this commission. Listening to clients and planning spaces to meet their needs is what I do on a daily basis. This is a trait that can be carried over to the commission. If elected, I will use this experience to listen to the applicant and the community to help shape a city that responds to its residents’ needs.

My vision would be to continue the diverse growth of the city by making it attractive for people and businesses to be drawn to our city. Through the projects approved by the commission and any revisions made to the Zoning Code, we will create a city that promotes growth of independent and unique destinations. I will also work to promote and encourage responsible growth.  Responsible growth takes into consideration a project’s impact on the community and within the environment.

I hope to have your vote on November 7!

No comments: