Friday, April 26, 2013

Highland Pond Preserve Highlighted in Hartford Courant

The Hartford Courant published an article today about hiking forgotten trails along the Meriden, Waterbury & Connecticut River Railroad.  My 7th grader regularly reads the paper, and the picture included with the article drew his attention this afternoon:

"Hey, Mom - someone killed the swan on the pond," he called out to me.

"What?  What pond?"

"Our pond - you know the one we go past all the time?"

We live within walking distance of Highland Pond, and we regularly drive down Sawmill Road and Bell Street to see the waterfall and the swans on the pond.  I walk that route whenever I can.  My son showed me the picture of a lone swan on Highland Pond, and the caption noted that local residents told the reporter that someone killed the swan's mate recently.

We've lived in Westfield for 10 years now, and one of our favorite spring sights is the swan on her nest and the cygnets when they hatch.  My excitement over seeing my part of town highlighted in the paper was quickly squashed by the sad news, and it has bothered me all evening.

If anyone has any information about this, please be kind enough to email your information to the Westfield Residents Association (westfieldresidents@gmail.com).

Thank you.

Jennifer Mahr
Chair, Westfield Residents Association


1 comment:

Kathysong said...

Swans mate for life. This is very sad. How was this one killed?