Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Opinion: Is Len Suzio Worried about Mary Abrams? That’s what he told me.

The following was submitted by city resident Kellin Atherton.  The Eye welcomes all signed opinion and news pieces. Submit by email
----------------
“Good Morning, Senator.”

“Good Morning.”

At this year’s Daffodil Festival in Meriden I approached Senator Suzio to say hello and hopefully ask him some questions. My wife grew up in Meriden and bringing our children to the festival is one of the highlights of our year. Although I am in the 9th district and a Democrat – I knew that Senator Suzio represents part of Middletown. Later, I checked the district map and was shocked to see that the line separating me from being Senator Suzio’s constituent is pretty much the other side of the street.

“Do you mind if I get a picture or video?”

“No thank you, I don’t have my person here with me and they need to be the one to make that decision.”

This guy’s good, I think to myself. In hindsight I don’t even know what my plan was.

“Fair enough. How are you feeling about November – what do you think about the Democrats in the primary?”

At this point my I’m wishing I could be more bold and set aside politeness, but Mama raised me right. I don’t feel great about public confrontation and if it’s going to happen I like to be prepared with something written out. The right time and place. With the traffic of shuttle buses, the smell of food, bands warming up, children with faces painted hustling and bustling around – I can recognize moments and this isn’t it.

And as it’s happening and he’s starting to talk about the primary I am regretting this whole thing. I’m thinking about the women of the 13th district and of Connecticut who have been so disrespected by this man’s beliefs. I’m thinking about the path that runs through the woods near my house along the Mattabesset River and how poor this man’s policies have been for our local environment. I’m thinking about all the people impacted by his vote against prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity or expression. I’m thinking about how I’m arrogant and unprepared. I think I’m letting people down.

Then he says something interesting.

“I’m worried though. Mary Abrams is running, she’s a good candidate and it’s going to be a tough year.”

And there it is.

It wasn’t until later I thought more about his answer and its importance – how self-aware and telling it was about the state of the radical right here in Connecticut.

Of course he’s worried. He and his equally radical colleague, Lt. Governor Candidate Joe Markley, like to film chats where they chuckle and reject important and valuable issues like Paid Family Medical Leave suggesting that they’re, “really not crucial at this moment.” My wife and I, and our 3rd child due in March, disagree with these men. My mother, who had to care for my Grandfather after a recent open-heart surgery, disagrees with these men. This is a crucial benefit and if Massachusetts and New York can pass laws saying so then we should too.

Of course he knows Mary is a good candidate. A Connecticut school teacher for over twenty years and first-time candidate is exactly what this region and state need now.

Of course he knows it’s going to be a tough year. It’s due to his terrible values and his inability to justify them to a constituency that has already rejected him once in his political career.

Len Suzio has every reason to be worried about Mary Abrams.

But don’t take my word for it. Go and ask him yourself.
------------------
Kellin Atherton is a Millennial father of two (with one on the way) and Supply Chain Professional from Middletown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your are right. Suzio lied to me directly about the law involving risk reduction credits for people convicted of manslaughter. It was extremely distressing to me, as my brother's murderer is doing 20 years on this charge even though he should have been convicted of 1st degree murder (he was able to take a plea). The fact that he would try to drum up fear and anxiety in survivors like me for a vote is despicable. He needs to go. Now.

cybermom said...

It's time for a change. Vote for Mary.