In an effort to show solid support for our community, Middlesex Community College is rallying to make an extra effort to volunteer time and talent during Connecticut’s statewide “Public Higher Education Make a Difference Week” taking place October 19-25. The College is reaching out to students, faculty, staff and supporters to take time out to collect food for the needy, help children with homework, and clean the environment.
This campaign is part of a statewide program to celebrate and promote civic engagement while developing students’ citizenship skills, forging community partnerships and integrating service learning and volunteering at Connecticut’s public colleges and universities. The week-long initiative includes more than 50 projects around the state, and culminates on October 25 which is “National Make a Difference Day.”
Specific MxCC volunteer opportunities include:
- FOOD DRIVES – MxCC’s students and faculty are sponsoring a week-long food drive for the Amazing Grace Food Pantry in Middletown from October 19-24. Bins for the non-perishable food items will be on campus in Snow Hall, rm. 508, Wheaton Hall, and the Student Activities office. Volunteers are needed to pack up food and deliver to the food pantry on Friday, October 24. MxCC’s Meriden Center will also conduct a week-long food drive and a school supplies drive.
- SOUP DINNER – Volunteers are needed to help serve and clean up at the St. Vincent de Paul Soup Dinner on Thursday, October 23 from 4 – 8 p.m. at St. Francis Church in Middletown.
- E-CYCLING – The MxCC Computer Club is bringing back Green Monster e-Cycling for another free collection of old or unwanted electronics for zero-waste recycling. The all-day event will take place from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wednesday, October 22.
- AFTER-SCHOOL HELP – Volunteers are needed all week for the Green St. Arts Center’s Discovery AfterSchool Program located on Green Street in Middletown to serve as snack time assistants, teaching assistants, and homework helpers for students.
- INVASIVE SPECIES CLEAN-UP – MxCC’s Student Environmental Association for Sustainability, in concert with the Middletown Conservation Commission, seeks volunteers to assist with clean-up of invasive species on open land in Middletown on Thursday, October 23 from 2-5 p.m.
For more information, or to participate in any of these events, please visit http://mxcc.edu/ctmakeadiff or http://ctpublicsmakeadiff.org. Please follow MxCC’s volunteer activity on Twitter using #CTpublicsmakeadiff or follow posts to Instagram and Facebook at CTmakesadiff.org.