Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Susan Owens, Board of Education Candidate

 My name is Susan Owens. I'm a Democratic candidate for the Middletown Board of Education. I was born and raised in Middletown and graduated from Middlesex Community College with a degree in multimedia. I'm a retired State of Connecticut employee. I have a adult son and raising 3 nephews. After retiring, I volunteered with Children in Placement as a Guardian ad Liem. I served on the NEAT board and was an instructor for PEP (People Empowering People) program. I volunteered with Middletown United Fathers working in the garden, delivering produce to families and the Amazing Grace. I helped Cheryllynn McRae-White run open mic at the Buttonwood Tree for teenagers.  I volunteered at Fellowship Christen School teaching the 5th and 6 grades video production. Later the students and I went to Comcast  and produced a 15 minute skit. I have been volunteering at MHS since 2005. It was in 2009 that Beverly Lawrence, Cheryllynn McRae-White and myself started a mentoring program for the girls at the high school called GIFTS (Girls Inspired for Total Success). We had over 300 girls go through our program.

My platform:  

  • First, bring back the fundamental skills of education back into the school system: cursive writing , reports, research, etc.
  • Second, interested in the mental health and safety of our children after Covid-19.
  • Third, using the opportunity gap to close the achievement gap.
  • Lastly, have more diversity of teachers in the public school system.

Come out on November 2, 2021 and Vote for Susan Owens for the Board of Education.

No comments: