Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Middletown Artist Paints "The Middletown Series"

The Buttonwood Tree is proud to present the artwork of Janine Janaki in their art gallery.
The show, The Middletown Series, is on display for the month of September. Catch images of the Arrigoni Bridge, O'Rourke's Diner, Wadsworth Falls, Bob Vince "Meditation Man" and much more. Prints are available in various sizes and can be seen at TBT during open hours. See Buttonwood.org for more.


Janine Janaki ...

I have never not painted. As early as I can recall, I’ve
spilled colors and patterns onto paper... sometimes mere
scraps, with whatever implement I could find.
As does the sun that rises... as do the birds that sing...
I paint because I must. I disappear into the realm of the
unseen and return with a translation of a soul-felt reality.
Is there a plan? Somewhat – a rudimentary outline of a
subject at hand. Then I depart... my hands move. Compelled,
I work in minute detail, an inch at a time, pushing colors
inexplicably upon the pastel board. When I step back, I am
always surprised to see the world, larger than life.

Middletown is a special place... the only place I’ve ever
truly felt at home. It has a certain vitality... a certain edge
that cannot be contained by the status quo. The North
End is alive. Wesleyan breathes dreams. The CT River is a
steady friend. From the colorful exchanges outside the soup
kitchen, to the quiet beauty of Wadsworth Park, to the happy
Saturday morning queue outside O’Rourke’s, to the world
music at The Buttonwood Tree, to the Mug Club at Eli’s, to
the multinational restaurant scene... Middletown speaks of
originality and authenticity. I simply had to paint it!!

No comments: